|Fotios Plessas, Associate Professor|
|Bachelor||Physics, University of Patras, Greece|
|Ph.D.||Electrical Engineering, University of Patras, Greece|
|Office||PS Bld, E5|
|Office Hours||Tuesday 12:00 - 13:30 and Thursday 12:00 - 13:30|
|Tel.||+30 24210 74392|
|Fax||+30 24210 74997|
|Web Page Google Scholar|
Fotis Plessas holds a physics degree (1999), a PhD in Electrical Engineering (2006), and an MSc in business administration - MBA (2009) all from Patras University.
From 1999 to 2006 he contributed to several research activities in the Applied Electronics Laboratory and in the Industrial Systems Institute involved mainly in RF, analog and mixed signal design. From 2007 to 2013 he was employed at Analogies S.A. as an integrated circuits (IC) design engineer, responsible for the design of high-speed analog and mixed signal integrated circuits, for e.g. the DDR2/3 PHY, and the USB3.0 PHY implementations, as well as the sub-modules of a 60GHz transceiver in 90nm and 65nm CMOS process nodes. In 2011 he was assigned the role of the head of engineering.
He taught as an adjunct professor from 2007 to 2009 at Informatics and Telecommunications Department of the University of Peloponnese and from 2008 to 2014 at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Thessaly. He appointed Assistant Professor in 2014, and promoted to Associate Professor in 2019 at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Thessaly He is currently teaching the following courses: Circuit Analysis, Advanced Electronics, Analog Electronics Lab., Design of Analog/Mixed Signal and RF Circuits, and Power Electronics.
In parallel with his other activities he is a freelancer and is working as a consultant for large semiconductor companies in US and Europe. He is the technical advisor for NanoZeta Technologies.
His research interests include the design and implementation of microwave circuits and systems, implementation of Phase-Locked Loops (PLLs) and Injection-Locked PLLs, phase noise analysis, and in general RF, analog and high speed circuit design for wired and wireless systems.
He is an author of more than 35 published papers. He has participated in a large number of European and National Research and Development projects; he is a member of IEEE and a licensed radio amateur.
1. F. Plessas, A. Miaoudakis, Gr. Kalivas, K. Efstathiou, “Wireless Data Transfer System”, Tehnika, vol. 178, January 2002, pp. 82-87.
2. Fotis Plessas, Paschalis Simitsakis, Grigorios Kalivas, “Design and Implementation of a DCS 1800 Receiver”, Tehnika â Elektrotehnika, vol. 53, no. 6, 2004 pp. 1-8.
3. Fotis Plessas, Sofia Vatti and Grigorios Kalivas, “A Theoretical and Experimental Study of the Phase Noise Behaviour of a Dual-Loop Frequency Synthesizer for 5-GHz WLANs”, Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers, vol. 16, no. 4, Aug 2007, pp. 577-588.
4. Fotis Plessas, Grigorios Kalivas, “A 5-GHz Injection-Locked Phase Locked Loop”, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 46, no. 1, July 2005, pp. 80-84.
5. Fotis Plessas and Grigorios Kalivas, “A Subharmonically Injected Phase Locked Loop for 5-GHz Applications”, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 48, no. 11, Nov. 2006, pp. 2158-2162.
6. Fotis Plessas, A. Papalambrou and Grigorios Kalivas, “Subharmonic injection locking and self-oscillating mixing”, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, vol. 37, Issue 3, Apr. 2009, pp. 479-502.
7. E. Lourandakis, F. Plessas and Grigorios Kalivas, “A 0.5 – 5.5 GHz Distributed Low Noise Amplifier”, ECTI Transactions on Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communications, vol. 6, Feb. 2008, pp. 26-31.
8. Fotis Plessas, A. Papalambrou and Grigorios Kalivas, “A 5-GHz Subharmonic Injection-Locked Oscillator and Self-Oscillating Mixer”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 55, no. 7, July 2008, pp. 633-637.
9. Athanasios Tsitouras, Fotis Plessas, “Ultra wideband, low-power, 3-5.6 GHz CMOS voltage-controlled oscillator”, Microelectronics Journal, vol. 40, Issue 6, June 2009, pp. 897-904.
10. Athanasios Tsitouras, Fotis Plessas, “Ultra-Wideband, Low-Power, Inductorless, 3.1-4.8 GHz, CMOS VCO”, Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 30, no. 2, Apr. 2011, pp. 263-285.
11. Fotis Plessas, “A study of superharmonic injection locking in multiband frequency dividers”, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, vol. 39, Issue 4, April 2011, pp. 397-410.
12. Fotis Plessas, Athanasios Tsitouras and G. Kalivas, “Phase noise characterization of subharmonic injection locked oscillators”, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, vol. 39, Issue 7, July 2011, pp. 791-800.
13. Athanasios Tsitouras, Fotis Plessas and G. Kalivas, “A linear, ultra wideband, low power, 2.1-5 GHz VCO”, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Application, vol. 39, Issue 8, Aug. 2011, pp. 823-833.
14. F. Plessas A. Tsitouras, and G. Kalivas, “5-GHz fully differential multifunctional circuit”, International Journal of Electronics, vol. 99, Issue 9, pp. 1317-1322.
15. F. Plessas, F. Gioulekas, and G. Kalivas, “Phase noise performance of fully differential sub-harmonic injection-locked PLL”, IET Electronics Letters, vol. 46, Issue 19, Sep. 2010, pp.1319-1321.
16. F. Plessas, E. Davrazos, A. Alexandropoulos, M. Birbas, “A 1-GHz, DDR2/3 SSTL Driver with On-Die Termination, Strength Calibration, and Slew Rate Control”, Computers and Electrical Engineering, vol. 38, no. 2, Mar. 2012.
17. F. Plessas, A. Alexandropoulos, S. Koutsomitsos, E. Davrazos, M. Birbas, “Advanced Calibration Techniques for High Speed Source-Synchronous Interfaces”, IET Computers & Digital Techniques, vol. 5, Issue 5, Sep. 2011, pp. 366-374.
18. A. Tsitouras, F. Plessas, M. Birbas, J. Kikidis, G. Kalivas, “A sub-1V supply CMOS voltage reference generator”, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, vol. 40, Issue 8, Aug. 2012, pp. 745-758.
19. A. Tsitouras, F. Plessas, M. Birbas, G. Kalivas, “A 1 V CMOS Programmable Accurate Charge Pump with Wide Output Voltage Range”, Microelectronics Journal, vol. 42, Issue 9, Sep. 2011, pp. 1082-1089.
20. G. Giannakas, F. Plessas, G. Stamoulis, “A pseudo-FG technique for efficient energy harvesting”, IET Electronics Letters, vol. 48, no. 9, April 2012.
21. G. Souliotis, F. Plessas, F. Liakou, M. Birbas, “A 90 nm CMOS 15/60 GHz frequency quadrupler”, International Journal of Electronics, vol. 100, no. 11, pp 1529-1545, 2013.
22. Nikolaos Terzopoulos, Costas Laoudias, Fotis Plessas, George Souliotis, Sotiris Koutsomitsos and Micael Birbas, “A 5Gbps USB3.0 Transmitter and Receiver Linear Equalizer”, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, 43(7), pp. 900 - 916, July 2015.
23. George Souliotis, Costas Laoudias, Fotis Plessas and Nikolaos Terzopoulos, “Phase interpolator with improved linearity“, Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, published online: May 29, 2015 (DOI: 10.1007/s00034-015-0082-9).
1. F. Plessas, A. Miaoudakis, Gr. Kalivas, K. Efstathiou, “Wireless Data Transfer System”, in Technology and industrial applications of power electronics – industrial electronics, Athens, Sep. 28-29, 2000.
2. Fotis Plessas, Grigorios Kalivas, “Locking Techniques For RF Oscillators at 5-6 GHz Frequency Range”, in Proc. 10th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, United Arab Emirates, December 14 -17, 2003.
3. Fotis Plessas, Grigorios Kalivas, “A 5 GHz Low noise Amplifier On 0.35um BiCMOS SiGe”, in Proc. 10th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, United Arab Emirates, December 14 -17, 2003.
4. Fotis Plessas, Grigorios Kalivas, “A 5-GHz, Variable Gain, SiGe Low Noise Amplifier”, in Proc. 24th International Conference on Microelectronics, Nis, Serbia and Montenegro, May 16-19, 2004.
5. Fotis Plessas, Sofia Vatti, Grigorios Kalivas, “Design and Implementation of a Dual-Loop Frequency Synthesizer for 5 GHz WLANs”, in Proc. 24th International Conference on Signals and Electronic Systems, Poznan, Poland, September 13-15, 2004.
6. Fotis Plessas, A. Papalambrou and Grigorios Kalivas, “A Subharmonic Injection-Locked Self-Oscillating Mixer”, in Proc. 2007 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, New Orleans, May 27-30, 2007.
7. Fotis Plessas, PhD Research abstract, “Electronic Circuit Subsystems for Broadband Wireless Applications”, in Proc. EDAA PhD forum 2008 in conjunction with the Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference (DATE), Munich, Germany, March 10-14, 2008.
8. A. Alexandropoulos, E. Davrazos, F. Plessas, M. Birbas, “A novel 1.8V, 1066Mbps, DDR2, DFI-compatible Memory Interface”, in Proc. 2010 IEEE Annual Symposium on VLSI, Kefalonia, Greece, July 5-7, 2010.
9. A. Alexandropoulos, F. Plessas, M. Birbas, “A dynamic DFI-compatible strobe qualification system for Double Data Rate (DDR) Physical Interfaces”, in Proc. 17th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS 2010), Athens, December 12-15, 2010.
10. G. Giannakas, F. Plessas, G. Nassopoulos, G. Stamoulis, “A 2.45GHz power harvesting circuit in 90nm CMOS”, in Proc. 17th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS 2010), Athens, Greece, December 12-15, 2010.
11. F. Plessas, V. Panagiotopoulos, V. Kalenteridis, G. Souliotis, F. Liakou, S. Koutsomitsos, S. Siskos, A. Birbas, “A 60-GHz Quadrature PLL in 90nm CMOS”, in 18th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS 2011), Beirut, Lebanon, December 11-14, 2011.
12. V. Kalenteridis, F. Plessas, V. Panagiotopoulos, S. Siskos, “Building blocks for a 15 GHz PLL in deep-submicron technology”, in Pan-Hellenic Conference on Electronics and Telecommunications (PACET) 2012, Thessaloniki, Greece, March 16-18, 2012.
13. C. Vassou, F. Plessas, N. Terzopoulos, “A variable gain wideband CMOS low-noise amplifier for 75 MHz–3 GHz wireless receivers”, in 20th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS 2013), Abu Dhabi, UAE, December 8-11, 2013.
14. Ioannis Zographopoulos, Fotios Plessas, “A 16-GHz Differential LC-VCO in 16-nm CMOS”, in Pan-Hellenic Conference on Electronics and Telecommunications (PACET) 2015, Ioannina, Greece, May 8-9, 2015.
15. Emmanouil Antonopoulos, Fotis Plessas, Fotis Foukalas, Ioannis Zographopoulos, “Heterogeneous Spectrum Bands Aggregation Prototype with Cognitive Radio Capabilities”, in 2015 IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS 2015), Tel Aviv, Israel, November 2-4, 2015.
16. Ioannis Zographopoulos, Fotis Plessas, Emmanouil Antonopoulos, Fotis Foukalas, “A 16-nm FinFET 16-GHz Differential LC-VCO”, in 2015 IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS 2015), Tel Aviv, Israel, November 2-4, 2015.
1. F. Plessas, N. Terzopoulos, “60 GHz Millimeter-Wave WLANs and WPANs: Introduction, System Design, and PHY Layer Challenges”, System-Level Design Methodologies for Telecommunication, Springer, 2014, pp. 63-78.
Workshops, Invited Talks
1. F. Plessas and John Kikidis, “Challenges of high speed MS design”, Helic Inc., Athnes, Greece, January 26, 2011.
2. F. Plessas, “Digital Wireless Communication Techniques Seminar – Lecture 4: Wireless Channel Modeling: Small-Scale Fading and Multipath”, IEEE TESYD Student Branch, Nafpaktos, Greece, May 11, 2012.
3. F. Plessas, “Millimeter-Wave WLANs & WPANs: Introduction, system design, and PHY layer challenges”, in the 3rd IEEE Greece GOLD A.G. ATHENA Summer School, Pyrgos, Greece, July 1-6, 2012.
4. Emmanouil-Aris Antonopoulos, Fotis Plessas, Fotis Foukalas, “RF Prototype for Dynamic Cognitive Carrier Aggregation of Heterogeneous Dispersed Bands”, in the Twelfth International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS'15), WSH4: Third Workshop on Cognitive Radio for Fifth Generation Networks and Spectrum (CRAFT 2015), August 25th – 28th, 2015, Brussels, Belgium.
5. F. Plessas, “Analog Interface Design”, in the Wireless Sensor Node Circuit and System Design - Wise Design 2015 workshop, powered by “IEEE CASS Outreach Initiative 2015”, Aristotle University, Greece, Dec. 7 & 8, 2015.
1. Driver for ddr2/3 memory interfaces.
- a) US20130103898 A1
- b) WO2011092526 A1
- c) GR1007196
- Inventors: Fotis Plessas, Efthimios Davrazos, Michael Birbas, John Kikidis
1. A sub-1V supply CMOS voltage reference generator IC.
- a) GR1007247
- Inventors: Athanasios Tsitouras, Fotis Plessas, Michael Birbas, John Kikidis
1. Participation in the FP7 research project SOLDER
The goal of SOLDER is to develop a new spectrum overlay technology, which will provide the efficient aggregation of non-continuous dispersed spectrum bands licensed to heterogeneous networks (HetNets) and heterogeneous Radio Access Technology (h-RATs).
2. Participation in the NSRF 2007-2013, National Action: Cooperation, research project EMOSIC
EMOSIC – An E-band / mmwave CMOS RFIC/MMIC implementation for future private networks and mobile backhaul radio applications
3. Participation in the Collaborative R&D project of MENELAOS (Micro Sensor Technologies for Navigation Space Applications), in the si-Cluster ‘Hellenic Space Technologies’ framework funded by the Greek General Secretariat for Research & Technology.
The goal of Menelaos is the design, development and ASIC implementation of the appropriate interface electronics of an Inertial Measuring Unit (IMU) for space applications.